- 1/2 recipe Danish pastry dough
- Almond filling (recipe follows)
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- sliced almonds
1. Roll Danish pastry dough out on a lightly floured pastry cloth or board to a 20x15-inch rectangle; trim edges even; cut in twelve 5-inch squares with a sharp knife.
2. Spoon almond filling onto one corner of each square, dividing evenly. Roll each square around filling to opposite corner.
3. Place pastries, points down, 2 inches apart, on greased cooky sheet. Curve into crescent shapes. Let rise in a warm place, away from draft, until double in bulk, about 30 minutes. Brush with egg; sprinkle with sugar and almonds.
4. Place in hot oven (400 degrees); reduce heat immediately to 350. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until puffed and golden. Remove to wire rack. Makes 12 individual pastries.
Beat 1 can almond paste (or tube, or marzipan, 8 ounces) with 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) softened butter and 1/4 cup sugar in a small bowl until well blended. Makes 1 cup.
Family Circle Cookbook