- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 sprigs rosemary, leaves removed and chopped
- 1/2 of a red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped smoked ham
- 1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes, optional
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) cannellini or navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Place garlic, rosemary, onion, ham and red-pepper flakes in a food processor; pulse to finely chop. Add beans, salt and pepper to taste. Slowly add olive oil with motor running until beans are pureed to a spreadable consistency, about 1 minute. Adjust seasoning.
Note: Serve with thick chips or as a spread on slices of toasted baguette.
Makes 1 1/2 cups.