- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large white onion, diced
- ½ batch (12 ounces) homemade green chorizo, or use another spicy fresh sausage
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro stems, leaves reserved for serving
- 7 cups cooked black beans (from 4 cans or 1 pound dried beans), drained
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced plum tomatoes with their juices
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, more as needed
- Diced avocado, for serving
- Sliced scallion, for serving
- Lime wedges, for serving
Heat oil over medium heat in a large Dutch oven or heavy-bottom pot. Add onion and cook until softened, 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in chorizo and cilantro stems and cook 5 minutes over high heat, or until much of the liquid has evaporated.
Stir in beans, tomatoes and their liquid, and 1 cup water. Bring mixture to a boil over high heat; reduce to medium.
Partly cover pot and simmer until tomatoes have fallen apart, about 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes. Season with salt. Serve topped with avocado, scallion, cilantro leaves and lime wedges.
New York Times