- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided, plus more to taste
- 3/4 cup corn flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 red or green jalapeño, seeded, finely chopped
- 1/2 pound small shrimp, peeled, deveined, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (from about 2 ears of corn)
- 3/4 cup grated cheddar (about 3 ounces)
- Grapeseed or canola oil (for frying)
- Lemon wedges (for serving)
Whisk together sour cream, lemon juice, and 1/4 tsp. salt; set aside for serving.
Whisk flour, baking powder, Old Bay seasoning, and 1/2 tsp. salt in a large bowl. Whisk egg and buttermilk in a medium bowl, then add to dry ingredients and stir to combine. Stir in scallions, jalapeño, shrimp, corn, and cheese.
Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet over medium. Working in batches and adding more oil in between, drop 1/4-cupfuls corn mixture into skillet, flattening slightly, and cook until golden and crisp, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer fritters to paper towels to drain; season with salt and serve immediately with sour cream sauce and lemon wedges alongside.