- 1 1/2 lb. asparagus
- 4 cups chicken broth
- coarse salt
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/4 c. flour
- white pepper
- 2 tsp. each chopped chive, chervil, and dill
- 2 tbsp. heavy cream
1. Prep: Snap the woody bottom off each asparagus stalk and discard. Clean stalks with a vegetable peeler. Trim off tips and set aside.
2. Simmer: Settle stalks in a large saucepan. Pour in broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until very soft, 40-45 minutes. Don’t be alarmed by long cooking time. It’s necessary to a smooth soup.
3. Boil: Meanwhile, drop asparagus tips into fast-boiling, lightly salted water and cook until bright green and just tender, 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
4. Blend: Using a food processor, immersion blender or the standard sort, swirl smooth broth and stalks. Keep warm.
5. Thicken: In a large heavy saucepan melt butter. Add flour and whisk, without browning, 2 minutes. Pour in pureed stock all at once and bring to a boil. Cook over low heat until slightly thickened, 5 minutes.
6. Spike: Season soup with salt, pepper, and a squeeze of lemon. Stir in herbs, cream and reserved asparagus tips. Enjoy fully dressed, or not.