- olive oil, 80 ml/ 2.7 fl oz
- onion, 1 large chopped
- fennel seeds, a good pinch
- chicken thighs, 8
- white wine, 200ml/ 6.8 fl oz (Vermentino is the local grape)
- fresh herbs, 2 tbsp roughly chopped – sage, thyme, marjoram, rosemary and a few whole sprigs
- pine nuts, 25g/1oz
- zest of 1 lemon
- olives, 60g/ 2.5oz preferably Taggiasca, the local Ligurian cultivar
- sea salt and freshly milled pepper
- Pour a good glug of olive oil into a good-sized pan. Sauté the onion in the oil until it is translucent and then add the garlic and fennel seeds being careful not to let them catch.
- Next, in a separate pan, heat a little olive oil and sear the chicken all over until it is golden brown. Then add the chicken to the onion pan.
- Next add the wine and cook letting the wine evaporate a little.
- Add the herbs, zest of the lemon, olives, pine nuts and salt and pepper and cover and cook on a low heat for 40 minutes.
- When the chicken is cooked add the fresh juice of the lemon and serve with a small jug of freshly squeezed lemon juice on the side for those who like it extra tangy.