- 5 ounces raw pepitas (about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- ½ cup shallots (finely chopped)
- 1 jalapeño (stemmed, seeded and finely chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- Kosher salt
- ¼ cup parsley (lightly packed)
- ¼ cup cilantro (lightly packed)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (freshly squeezed)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon orange zest (finely grated)
- Tortilla chips (for serving)
In a large skillet, toast the pumpkin seeds over moderate heat, tossing occasionally, until lightly golden, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a food processor.
In the skillet, heat the canola oil until shimmering. Add the shallots, jalapeño, garlic and a generous pinch of salt and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer the mixture to the food processor and let cool.
Add the parsley, cilantro, lime juice, olive oil, orange zest and 1/4 cup of water to the food processor and puree until nearly smooth. Season with salt. Transfer the sikil pak to a bowl and serve with tortilla chips.
Food & Wine