- 1 medium eggplant, peeled, cut into thick chunks
- 1 head fresh garlic, peeled
- 5-6 tomatoes (smaller, vine-ripe), quartered and seeds removed
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- 3 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/2-1 tsp. salt (optional)
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 2 tbsp. Penzey’s Tuscan Sunset or other spice blend
- 1 16-oz. can white beans
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. oregano (pref. Mexican)
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
Preheat oven to 375. Place the vegetables in a shallow baking dish. Add the oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, and spice blend. Toss well to coat. Carefully spread into a single layer and place the pan in the oven. Roast for 45 minutes. Note: Vegetables can also be roasted on a pan in a gas grill. Cool vegetable mixture, or let rest overnight in the fridge.
Rinse and drain the white beans and place in a blender with 2 c. of the vegetable mixture. The vegetables should have exuded quite a bit of liquid so make sure to include some of this in the 2 cups. Blend the beans and vegetables. Add the chili powder and oregano and the lemon juice. Blend well and pour into a bowl. Serve with any firm cracker.