for the sauce:
- 1 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons cognac
for the dish:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces lobster meat, diced
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallots
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- White pepper
- 4 prepared vol au vent shells
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
For the Orange Cognac Sauce: In a medium saucepan over high heat combine the orange juice, sugar, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce heat until nearly evaporated. Add the stock, heavy cream, and cognac. Boil for minute, remove from the heat, and set aside.
For the Lobster Vol au Vent: Preheat a saucepan over high heat until very hot. Add the olive oil, then the lobster meat, mushrooms, shallots, tarragon, and white pepper, to taste, while stirring to combine ingredients. Add 1/2 cup of the Orange Cognac Sauce and bring to a boil for 1 minute. Reduce to a simmer.
Spoon reduced mixture into prepared shells, drizzle with remaining orange cognac sauce, and garnish with parsley leaves.