- 2 lb boneless stewing beef, cut into 1 in cubes
- 2 tbl olive oil
- 1 lg onion, finely chopped
- 1 med carrot, finely chopped
- 1 med celery rib with leaves, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 c dry red wine
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes in juice
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- pasta for serving
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meat in batches and brown on all sides, being careful not to crowd the pan. With a slotted spoon, transfer to crockpot.
Pour off all but 2 tbl fat from the pan or add more if needed. Add the onion, carrot, celery and garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables soften, about 5 min. Add wine and bring to a boil, stirring to release the browned bits in the skillet. Pour into crock pot. Add the tomatoes and spices.
Cover and turn on to low setting. Cook without removing lid for 6 to 7 hours until meat is tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve over pasta.
Joy of Cooking